Pages

Monday 21 September 2009

...Old fashioned Thanksgiving? sept new stamps Day 5



I used stamps from the soon to be released Peace and Plenty and Blessed by You stamp sets (clear stamps releasing here, on this blog, on the 29th, and yep, I ship everywhere!) to create a couple of items for Thanksgiving. We don't really celebrate thanksgiving here in Ireland but I have been thinking that it was something we should probably adopt, in as much as it wouldn't do us any harm to celebrate everything we have to be thankful for at least once a year.

So I got to thinking about a nice big family dinner, maybe a few friends, table set with white linen and those blue and white antique plates that used to sit on the dresser at my grandfathers house. I used to love those old delft plates painted in a fairly naive style, they were ancient and sadly I have no idea where they went after the farm was sold.

Also, I wanted to show you that the simple linear stamps from Peace and Plenty fit easily into any style you care to use. Yesterday i made a couple of 'fresh' cards and today I am showing you a linear image of a pumpkin and some fruit, used in a vintage style. I used the cracked glass technique - I see this all over the place but most recently at Heather Nichols blog.

I stamped the image in a dark blue ink (Enchanted Evening, Palette) and watercoloured it in a fairly loose style, using only blue paint, to emulate the style of old dutch plates and tiles.

I was pleased with how the cracked glass effect really suited this colouring. I made a multi layered card to show it off, I don't usually do this sort of card (been dying to do one for ages tho') and I felt it was appropriate here. I coloured a bit of ribbon with a copic pen(Cosmo Cricket Everafter, grey filigree swirl ribbon) to match the ginger card and added a few wee page pebbles, courtesy of Beverly at Precious Scraps.


Inside, you can see the simple linear pumpkin stamp (Peace and Plenty) - there is a single pumpkin stamp and stamp with a pumpkin as part of a harvest group of fruit.



I made up a place card in the same style, I so love these colours together. As you can see I have loads of wee helper hands always wanting in on the act!

A quick tip here for when you want a small tight mat for a shape you have cut out with a nestability die (Spellbinders), emboss the shape on the card of your choice and then cut it out with scissors around the OUTERMOST embossed line. See pic below.


In the top photo you can see a little cutlery pouch I made to co-ordinate with the place cards etc. If I'm having a huge dinner party, I just know I'm not going to have enough cutlery in the same pattern so if I make up a pouch for each person, it means that the table will appear nice and uniform when set, and the difference in cutlery won't be noticeable! Did somebody say OCD...?

I so love that oak leaf and acorn stamp from Blessed by You! I think stamping on the blue with versamark makes it look almost like velvet!!!


Hope this tickles and there's still time to enter the copmpetition from yesterdays post! Scroll down!

22 comments:

  1. I'll be first to comment...these are lovely, Claire....the colour combination is just great...love the cutlery idea and yes, you are right, we should have Thanksgiving...our church does have one but we don't normally have a family meal and it would be good if this was adopted..why even a whole family sitting down to a meal is a rare thing these days.
    Joyce in Cookstown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rich colour.
    I agree with you about Thanksgiving being something worth adopting. I guess the nearest we come are the Harvest Thanksgiving services in church and school. Your items would make for very impressive table settings especially on white linen.
    The layers on the card are beautiful and I especially love how you've used the nestabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T think i'm going to need the Jackpot to fall on our numbers, i love this tablesetting cards and thank you for the link for the cracked glass technique.

    I will look in again tomorrow,

    Hugs Yvon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire you are a genius! These are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I go out for a few hours and what happens? You put up yet another lovely example of your gorgeous new stamp sets and how versatile they are...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my glory, Claire, you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful examples! But you do love to torment don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodness, Claire, this color combo is amazing. These are stunning. PLEASE come to my house for Thanksgiving!! The whole clan is invited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you should adopt Thanksgiving Claire. What could be better than great food, family and friends (and great stamped items)? Your projects today are fantastic. The colors are so rich and your designs are perfect. I'm enjoying your release posts so much Claire. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely colour combo! I know I can count on you with your keen eye- thanks! Hmm, I've always loved ginger in a cake (I have the best recipe - really!) and just never think about that colour on paper. It's wonderful with navy!
    Cdns. are not big on Thanksgiving, not like our American pals, but I love the festivities and have been incorporating them in the family din-dins. I, too, have gussied up the silverware, just as I gussied up the mix and don't match place settings. Everyone feels special with all that 'gussiness' (is that a word?) and seems to love the attention to detail, something that does make me very proud.
    As always, I thank you for your generosity in the sharing of your incredible designs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful stamps again! They are just beautiful! The pumpkin and in blue is wonderful! The leaf and acorn bg stamp looks amazing in any color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what a lovely color combination! You are so amazing--coming up with & more beautiful tempting designs....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful table setting! Love the line images in the set and really love your color combinations! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant tip on the nesties Claire :) I think I did something similar, but not nearly as neat. Love the blue on these...just GORGEOUS.

    *happy sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Set is soooo great. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A-MAZ-ING!! Claire, wow wow wow, These are just stunning creations. Love your idea of adopting thanksgiving too, I don't know why we haven't. Can't wait until the release. Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully done, Claire! I DO SO love that color combination! And those stamps are a MUST HAVE! I agree about celebrating our blessings. It's a wonderful family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the color combo....and the stamps are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is gorgeous! I love these images. What blue paper is that? It is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, Claire -- this color combo & your fabulous ideas just take my breath away!!! What a fabulous matched set & fabulous stamps -- love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful creations! I also love the patterns and color combinations. My grandmother also had the delft print dishes you mentioned...I think they went to my aunt when she passed. All of my family is out of state so Thanksgiving dinner is very small--just me, hubby and one wee one. I may have to make something like this up just to make is super special. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, :) I read them all and I appreciate you taking time to visit!